Meeting the sexual and reproductive health needs of a rapidly changing population requires the development of a highly skilled and diverse workforce of culturally and linguistically competent health professionals. California Family Health Council (CFHC) has developed a one of a kind project to place talented students in diverse health settings statewide to give them hands on experience working in sexual and reproductive health care. Participants can choose from a variety of internships at CFHC or in county health departments, community clinics, free clinics, or family planning clinics in rurl and urban settings. Recruitment of students of color is a program priority.
Career Track Opportunities
For graduate students in public health, health science, education, communications and related fields, the program benefits include:
- When available, stipends are based on the total hours the student works in the agency
- Year round placements with flexible hours
- Opportunities to develop relationships with professionals in the field
- Opportunities to serve in ethnically and culturally diverse communities
- Real life experience in all aspects of the field of sexual and reproductive health care
Since its inception in 1991, over 500 highly motivated students have been placed in internships through the Open Door program. Participating agencies have benefited from more than 450,000 hours of work performed by interns and dozens of interns have gained employment with their placement agencies. Others have secured employment at other health care organizations: 95% of program participants have gone on to pursue careers in the field of public health. The Open Doors program is a CFHC project made possible in partnership with over forty participating health care providers.
How to Apply - please submit
- A completed Application Form (Get Adobe Acrobat Reader)
- A current resume
- A cover letter addressed to Open Door Coordinator, that includes why you are interested in pursuing an internship in sexual and reproductive health care.
To apply send all the above by mail, fax or e-mail to:
Laurel Beyrer (Open Door Coordinator)
3600 Wilshire Blvd. #600
Los Angeles, CA 90010
T: 213.386.5614 x4515